21 November 2008

zucchini fries

as promised, here is my recipe for zucchini fries. not only do mike and I like them, but the boys eat them up as well. I usually serve them with some horseradish mixed with mayo or sour cream as a dip

1 medium zucchini (6 oz), trimmed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon shredded parmesan, plus more to top
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
¼ cup olive oil
  1. halve zucchini crosswise, then cut each half lengthwise into 1/8-inch-wide slices and cut slices lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick strips. toss with salt in a large medium-mesh sieve set over a bowl and drain 30 minutes. squeeze handfuls of zucchini to remove moisture, then roll up in a triple layer of paper towels and squeeze to remove remaining moisture.
  2. place garlic salt, shredded parmesan, and flour in a zip-lock bag and shake to combine. add zucchini to zip-lock bag and shake to coat.
  3. heat oil in frying pan and add zucchini, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon, until zucchini is golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
  4. transfer zucchini to paper towels to drain and top with additional parmesan. serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! This one is worth a shot!

I've been able to sneak sweet potato fries past my ever-so-picky 5-year-old, so maybe if I say the "fries" part loudly and mumble "zucchini" I can trick him. And I just happen to have zucchini in the fridge just waiting for me to do something with it. It must have known this post was coming.

Thanks!

Debra
9to5to9