05 November 2008

sangria for my #gno friends

ok, as promised to all my twittermom friends on girls night out (#gno) last night, here is my sangria recipe

I am not a big wine drinker (I need it to be really sweet), but I have found that I am a BIG fan of sangria. I have played around with this recipe and made it some different ways, but the recipe below is by far my favorite. feel free to change the fruit and wine to whatever your favorite is. also, one word of caution, when you get to the fruit on the bottom of the cup, eating it is very addictive and after sitting in all that alcohol, it is really potent stuff. enjoy!!

1 pineapple peeled and halved lengthwise, and cored

4 ripe but firm plums, pitted and cut into wedges

1 tablespoon superfine sugar, or more if needed

3 ounces cointreau

3 ounces brandy

1 bottle chilled fruity red wine

1 1/3 cup pineapple juice

1 cup sparkling water or seltzer

  1. cut half of the pineapple into ¾” thick spears and the other half into 1” chunks.
  2. transfer all the pineapple to a pitcher and add the plums. sprinkle with the sugar and stir to combine.
  3. add cointreau and brandy and let set for at least 1 hour at room temperature (or up to 8 hours in the fridge).
  4. stir in the wine, pineapple juice, and sparkling water.
  5. sweeten with more sugar if desired.

2 comments:

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

You rock. I am adapting this for Shirley Temple Mormons...

Add gingerale, sprite...what??

caryn said...

i'm sure you could, i've never tried them, but they would make it sweeter, so you may want to add less sugar!