09 November 2008

making all my food dreams come true -- eating in Vegas, day 2

last time we were in vegas, we had breakfast at this wonderful cafe at the wynn. so, for our first morning in Vegas we were ready to go back. before I tell you about what we ate, I have to tell you this. there are two things that I love most about being married to a fellow foodie; one is that we both think the best part about traveling is where we get to eat, the other is that we are both always willing to break a couple of food rules.

when we finally got to the terrace pointe cafe at the wynn, it was about 10:30 am (remember, I am not a morning person, even for good food). the first thing that I noticed was that they had potato chips covered in blue cheese fondue on their lunch appetizer menu, we ordered those immediately. they were really good, the potato chips were crisp and the blue cheese fondue was perfect, we will definitely be getting those again the next time we are out here. for breakfast, I had the waffles with strawberries and mike had the corned beef hash. the waffle was amazing (trust me, there is a difference between good waffles and these) and mike said the corned beef hash was the best he had ever tasted and the hollandaise on top was rich and really good.

after our trip to the auto collection museum, we went to the neiman marcus cafe for lunch. neimans has really influenced they way I cook and I was so excited that mike was going to get to try their food. but when I got there, I felt like a parent whose child is misbehaving, the service was mediocre at best, they were out of hamburgers (which was the first thing we ordered), and then when we asked about getting some chicken broth, we were told "it's not really good, so we don't want to serve it". that being said, the food that we did get was really good. I got a south coast to drink (see picture) which is midori, malibu, and peach schnapps with orange and pineapple juice and yes, it was as good as it looked. to eat, we split the mezze sampler (mike's been real into mediterranean cooking lately) with hummus, tabbouleh, marinated olives and pickles, tzatziki, chicken skewers with couscous, and pita wedges. it all had really great flavor.

we made reservations for mesa grill at caesars for dinner and when we got there, we were told that they were running about 45 minutes behind (that always ticks me off). once we finally got seated and looked at the menu, it looked like it was going to be worth the wait. I decided on the gala apple salad (apples, spinach, blue cheese, pecans and a spicy vinaigrette) and a double baked potato. mike got the barbecued duck blue corn pancake and the chorizo-goat cheese tamale with a prickly pear margarita to drink. the food was all excellent, my only complaint is that I would have liked a little more spinach in my salad.

after all that we are stuffed and heading to bed without dessert. it must have been a good food day for us to miss dessert!

No comments: