30 April 2009

grandma berger's rice pudding

as I have said before, both my grandfathers were rice farmers and my father's mother used rice in everything she could.  when I found her rice pudding recipe in a cookbook a few months ago, I couldn't wait to try it.  I finally made it tonight and it was as wonderful as I thought it would be.

 
 
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups milk
salt to taste
1/2 stick margarine
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 small (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
ground cinnamon
  1. in a heavy saucepan, over low heat, cook rice, milk, and salt until milk is completely cooked and thickened (it should leave a ribbon when you stir it) about 15 minutes
  2. preheat oven to 350 degrees
  3. remove from heat and stir in margarine and sugar until margarine is melted
  4. stir in beaten eggs and crushed pineapple
  5. pour mixture into an oven-safe dish and bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly firm
  6. sprinkle with ground cinnamon once you remove from the oven and serve warm

No comments: