1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (1 ½ packages)
5 tablespoons sugar
1 ¼ cup warm water
4 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tablespoon kosher salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
- in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle
- add the eggs, the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar, and half of the remaining flour and mix until incorporated. add the rest of the flour and mix on medium speed for 4 minutes; if the dough is too wet, add a little more flour until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place in a lightly oiled large bowl. cover with a slightly damp towel and let rise in a warm place for 2 ½ hours.
- pre-heat the oven to 350. lightly butter a 12” baking sheet.
- remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a lightly floured work surface. divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll them into strips about 8 inches long. press the 3 strips together at one end and then braid the dough strips, crossing the strip on the left under the middle strip, then the right strip under the middle, and so on 6 or 7 times, until you complete the braid.
- pinch the ends together and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. let rise for another 10 minutes. bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.