1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage, crumbled
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 loaf day old brioche or country white bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- heat the olive oil in a mediums skillet over medium-high heat. add the onions and saute until translucent (about 7 minutes).
- add the sausage to the skillet and brown, stirring to break up any large clumps.
- using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage and onions to a shallow bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- in a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder. stir in the bread, sausage and onion mixture, and the cheese.
- butter a 13 X 9 inch baking dish, pour mixture into prepared baking dish and cover with foil. let the dish sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- preheat the oven to 350.
- bake the pudding, still covered, for about 45 minutes. remove the foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until browned. serve immediately.