22 January 2009

my mom's corn casserole recipe -- in honor of my sister

my mother is famous for her corn casserole and she has a fool-proof recipe that anyone can make. anyone, but me, that is. I have tried many times to make it and it never comes out right. I am the only one that my mother knows who has not had success with her recipe, even my sister is able to make it. my sister does not bake much, so the fact that she can make this and I can't really gets under my skin. one time, she even forgot to put the sour cream in and when she remembered, she took the casserole out of the oven and mixed the sour cream in and then put it back in to finish baking. and it still turned out good. so, in honor of my sister's birthday today, I am sharing my mom's corn casserole recipe with you.  if you try it, let me know how it turns out for you.

my mom's corn casserole

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (my mom uses jiffy)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter.
  3. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

3 comments:

rockcreekcreations said...

This must be "everyone's" mom's recipe. It's my mom's in Wisconsin, My son in law's mom's in Iowa. It's taking over the world! grin

It is extremely good and worth trying. Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

This needs cheese on top! :)

Anonymous said...

You know, I made this with just creamed corn, corn kernals and some milk and did it on a cook stove while camping - cooking one side, then flipping it over and cooking the other. Turned out nice. I'll try it with sour cream sometime. That sounds better.