3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons baking soda
½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 or 3)
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup buttermilk
¼ cup (1/2 stick butter), melted
cinnamon-sugar, to taste
- sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and lemon zest into a bowl, cut in 1 cup butter until crumbly.
- mix the sweet potatoes and brown sugar in a bowl, stir in the buttermilk. add the flour mixture and mix with your hands to form a sticky dough.
- chill the dough for 1 hour.
- preheat the oven to 425. place the dough on a floured work surface and knead two to three times. roll the dough ¼ inch thick. cut into circles using a biscuit cutter.
- place 1 ½ inches apart on a non-stick baking sheet. prick the top of each biscuit with a fork. bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- remove from the oven and brush the tops of the biscuits with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- allow the biscuits to cool and then slice and make into a sandwich using the deli ham and the mustard.