1 pound macaroni
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I usually use a blend of mild cheddar, sharp cheddar and fontina)
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- preheat the oven to 375 and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. add the macaroni to the pot and cook according to package instructions and drain well.
- in a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes stirring with a whisk.
- add the milk, continuing to whisk, and cook until thickened. remove from the heat and stir in the 2 cups cheddar cheese, blue cheese dressing, salt, and pepper. stirring until the ingredients are all incorporated.
- pour the macaroni into a 3-quart baking dish and stir in the cheese sauce. top with the shredded sharp cheddar.
- bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. serve immediately.