2 stale croissants
1/2 cup cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
demerara (or raw brown sugar) for sprinkling
- preheat the oven to 350. tear the croissants into pieces and put in a 2 cup baking dish.
- put the sugar and water into a saucepan and stir to help dissolve the sugar. put the saucepan over medium-high. caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it stay on the heat, WITHOUT TOUCHING IT, until it turns a deep amber color, about 5 to 10 minutes. keep watching it, but do not stir it.
- take the pan off the heat and whisk in the cream, whisking very rapidly, even though it will steam like crazy. whisk in the bourbon and milk and while whisking very rapidly, add in the beaten eggs.
- pour the mixture over the croissants and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.