12 December 2008

chocolate fantasy fudge

when I first started doing my christmas cookies and candies, I went through my mom’s recipes to get the ones that I wanted to try.  I found her dad’s, (my grandfather) recipe for fudge and I tried it, but I couldn’t get it to set up.  I tried it a couple more times before I finally called my mom to tell her that I tried the recipe and couldn’t get it to work.  she then shared with me that she has trouble with that recipe and so she uses the one from the back of the marshmallow cream jar.  this is that recipe and it sets up perfectly every time!



3 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 small can (5 ounces) evaporated milk (about 2/3 cup)
6 (1 ounce) squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
6 (1 ounce) squares sweet (or milk) baking chocolate, chopped
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow crème
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. line 9-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan; set aside. place sugar, butter and evaporated milk in large heavy saucepan. bring to full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. boil 4 min. or until candy thermometer reaches 234°f, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. remove from heat.
  2. add chocolate and marshmallow crème; stir until completely melted. add walnuts and vanilla; mix well.
  3. pour immediately into prepared pan; spread to form even layer in pan. let stand at room temperature 4 hours or until completely cooled; cut into 1-inch squares. store in tightly covered container at room temperature.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh, that looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe . . . and so many others, as well!