28 May 2009

soy-nut brittle

after watching alton brown make edamame brittle the other day, I decided that I wanted to try that with my brittle recipe. I had a hard time finding the dry-roasted edamame that it called for, but I found soy nuts, which Dee and I decided were the same thing. as I have said before, this recipe for brittle turns out perfect for me everytime and this was the first time I played around with the flavorings and I was very happy with the results.


8 ounces soy nuts (dry roasted edamame)

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon butter

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons baking soda
  1. butter (or spray with cooking spray) two sheets of waxed paper (or a spliat mat if you have one).
  2. combine the soy nuts with the cayenne pepper and kosher salt in a small bowl
  3. combine sugar and corn syrup in microwave-safe 1 ½ quart bowl, stir well.
  4. microwave on high 4 minutes.
  5. stir in seasoned edamame, microwave high 3-5 min until lightly browned (golden).
  6. add butter and soy sauce; microwave mixture one minute
  7. stir in baking soda until foamy
  8. quickly pour on prepared waxed paper and let cool
  9. once the brittle has cooled, break it up into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

No comments: